Friday, May 8, 2015

Ethics: The Struggle Doesn't Have to be Real

By: Samantha McCain
PRAM State, VP of Communications

As public relations professionals, we are bound by a set of guidelines for practice. Now, I don’t know about you… but when I was in school, I never imagined that I would ACTUALLY deal with ethical issues. Of course noone would ever ask me to do anything that went against my own moral code, let alone my personal one! But then again, the world was also quite a rosy shade of pink, and unicorns existed. The good ole days? 

As I prepare for the APR Examination, I find myself looking at ethical dilemmas and the industry in a completely different light than I did in school. The real world is tough, and job application can sometimes be tricky:
  • “Do I use that picture when I’m not sure where it actually came from?”
  • “Can I record this event, when the background music is a pop song - currently on the radio?”
  • “I signed a nondisclosure agreement, but telling my spouse isn’t a big deal… right?”
  • "I need to find a screen printer... I wonder if we can use my son-in-law?"

Things that are simple, can often come with a big punch immediately or down the road. As we continue to expand the excellence of our profession, always go back to the basics (as identified by PRSA): 
  • Be honest and accurate in all communications.
  • Reveal sponsors for represented causes and interests.
  • Act in the best interest of clients or employers.
  • Disclose financial interests in a client’s organization.
  • Safeguard the confidences and privacy rights of clients and employees.
  • Follow ethical hiring practices to respect free and open competition.
  • Avoid conflicts between personal and professional interests.
  • Decline representation of clients requiring actions contrary to the Code.
  • Accurately define what public relations activities can accomplish.
  • Report all ethical violations to the appropriate authority.

Is there anything about ethics that surprised you when you began to dive deeper into your career?


No comments:

Post a Comment